Sterling is a city in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 4,705, and the majority of the population comprises White Americans.
Sterling is 18 miles to the east of Kenai.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 79.4 square miles, of which, 77.3 square miles of it is land and 2.1 square miles of it (2.62%) is water.
The town now known as Sterling was originally called Naptowne when it was first opened for settlement in 1947. However, the area got a post office in 1954 which was given the designation of Sterling after the Sterling Highway that served the area.
An archaeological site, containing prehistoric Dena'ina house pits, has been discovered near Sterling, showing that the area was inhabited in prehistoric times.
The primary industries around Sterling today are support for tourism, fishing for sport, and hunting.