Douglas is an area on Douglas Island in southeastern Alaska. It originated in 1881 as a place that provided services to miners of the nearby Treadwell gold mine, and was incorporated as a city in 1902.
Douglas was once a larger town than neighboring Juneau, but its importance reduced in the early 1900s as mining activity moved to other locations. Today it is a residential community on Douglas Island and is legally a part of the City and Borough of Juneau. It is connected to Juneau on the Alaska mainland, by a bridge over the Gastineau Channel that separates them.
Some historical reports suggest that an early settler to the area may be credited for the naming of Douglas Island (Douglas A. Laska).
The Alaska Department of Corrections has its headquarters in Douglas.