Milford is a borough located in western Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. Milford is located on the Delaware River in the western portion of Hunterdon County, known as the Hunterdon Plateau. The Borough dates to the mid-18th century when a grist mill was established beside a river in what was then Bethlehem Township. After the mill was destroyed by fire in 1769, the settlement became known as Burnt Mills in Alexandria Township. Milford was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 15, 1911, from portions of Holland Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 8, 1911. The borough's incorporation was confirmed on March 13, 1925.